JOB SUMMARY: Operate, Maintain and Document as necessary all aspects of the facility’s ammonia refrigeration system to ensure the system is performing efficiently, safely and in a compliant manor.
1. General understanding and compliance with all OSHA regulations, EPA Regulations, National Electrical Codes, State Mechanical Codes and other Plant/Facility Operational or safety procedures.
2. Adhere to Safety, Food Safety, Quality and Regulatory guidelines.
3. Perform all work in accordance with environmental, health and safety standards, rules, regulations and practices of the facility.
4. Maintain the plant’s PSM (Process Safety Management) and ERP (Emergency Response Plan) programs, including all related documentation.
5. Must be able to pass training/certifications as required for qualification.
6. Use a variety of test equipment, machines, hand tools and computer aided equipment essential to maintaining the Ammonia System.
7. Respond to equipment/system breakdowns in an expeditious, professional and safe manner.
8. Ability to effectively troubleshoot and diagnose system failures or breakdowns.
9. Perform maintenance in accordance with maintenance schedules, utilizing appropriate blueprints, diagrams, sketches, national codes and verbal/written instructions.
10. Maintain a clean and orderly shop and work area.
11. Must be able to work overtime, weekends and willing to move to any shift. Including being on call during off hours for emergency situations related to the ammonia system.
12. Ability to comply with and execute the established preventive maintenance and work order/repair program in place.
13. Maintain the equipment/system history records including daily activity records and all maintenance actions.
Ammonia Operations Technical Specialist – E06 2.17 1
14. Ability to read, understand and use the systems P&ID to effectively maintain and troubleshoot the Ammonia system.
15. Compliance with all other duties as assigned.
1. Start/Stop, adjust and monitor the facilities ammonia refrigeration system to ensure safe and efficient operation.
2. Complete and maintain all necessary logs and records, including but not limited to documentation required for the PSM and ERP programs.
3. Perform required maintenance task on all associated system equipment and components.
4. Maintain proper temperatures throughout the ammonia system as required per sub system.
5. Operate and maintain the system in a manner that ensures the safety of fellow employees, the community and the environment.
• High school diploma or GED.
• Must possess previous experience and documented training or certification in all of the following areas: o PLC, electrical controls and motor circuits.
o Ammonia Refrigeration
o 5+ years’ experience as an Ammonia systems operator
• Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence and memos.
• Ability to read and comprehend blue prints, diagrams and schematics.
• Ability to write simple correspondence.
• Ability to document to effectively present information for needed records of parts or repairs.
• Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one small group situations to customers, clients, and other team members of the organization.
• Ability to use effective problem solving skills.
• Ability to use mathematical functions including addition, subtraction, multiplication and division in order to perform machine checks and setup, electrical calculations and read test equipment/measuring instruments.
• Ability to perform these operations using units of weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ammonia Operations Technical Specialist – E06 2.17 2
PHYSICAL AND VISUAL ACTIVITIES:
• Lift, carry and push equipment.
• Reach, bend and twist/turn in awkward positions.
• Ability to visually differentiate items of color, up close and in the distance.
• Ability to wear personal protective equipment and/or clothing.
• Ability to pass a respirator fit test.
• Stand/walk 6 or more hours per day.
• Continuously talk/hear throughout the day.
• Frequently squat, bend, reach, twist/turn, grip/grasp, and climb.
• Frequently use eye/hand coordination and eye/hand/foot coordination as well as handle/finger.
• Frequently lift up to 25 lbs from floor height to overhead and carry more than 100 feet.
• Occasionally kneel/crawl.
• Occasionally use fine motor tasks and taste/smell.
• Push tool carts requiring 25 lbs of force over 100 yards.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and color vision.
• Must be able to work in shop and production environments.
• Constantly work in damp, wet, humid and slippery environments.
• Constantly work near moving equipment.
• Constantly work in extreme heat/cold (-15-100 degrees).
• Constantly work in high noise levels requiring hearing protection.
• Frequently work in area with fumes or airborne debris.
• Frequently work with toxic or caustic chemicals.
• Occasionally work in high places.
• Occasionally work with hand tools causing segmental or whole-body vibration.
• Bump cap, hair net, safety glasses, hearing protection, and uniform.
• Cut resistant and nitrile gloves.
• Powered industrial trucks including lift trucks and electric pallet jacks.
• Aerial lifts including scissor and articulating boom lifts.
• Use of ladders including step, fixed and extension.
• Use of shop equipment – welder, grinders, lathes, drills, presses and other metal working tools.
• Use of various hand tools including pliers, screwdrivers, wrenches, channel locks, socket drivers, etc.
• Use of power and pneumatic tools.
• Use of test instruments (micrometers, calipers, etc.).
• Use of electrical meters.
• Use of precision measuring instruments.
• Ability to effectively use the plant’s computer software for operating the refrigeration system
• Efficient in the use of Microsoft Outlook, Word and Excel for documentation purposes.
Ammonia Operations Technical Specialist – E06 2.17 3
Career LevelTechnician Level 3