Division: Tekni Plex Co Dolco Packaging
Location: Decatur, Indiana
Job Title: Automation Engineer Technician
Reports To: Maintenance Manager
SUMMARY: This position is responsible for operating, testing, maintaining all unmanned automated, servo mechanical or electro mechanical equipment as the robotic/control and instrumentation specialist.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identifies and implements solutions for automation systems and equipment to improve efficiencies.
- Uses electrical test equipment, both analog & digital to analyze the equipment & process.
- Assists with the facilitation of cross functional improvement teams.
- Troubleshoots problems and perform repairs when machines develop problems.
- Prepares reports for managers recommending upgrades or improvements.
- Assist with installation of electrical upgrades and projects to improve efficiencies.
- Creation and application of technology to monitor or control production equipment and processes.
- Assist with installation of all aspects of electrical control systems, equipment and machinery.
- Work directly with machine operators to identify needs and develop solutions; work with Maintenance on equipment modifications and preventative /predictive maintenance to ensure reliability.
- Develop thorough knowledge of all manufacturing processes and equipment; monitor and assess all equipment performance; develop requirements and participate in CER development for new/modified equipment.
- Actively participate in and/or drive root cause analysis and process improvement efforts.
- Promotes worker safety by:
- Actively assesses activities on a constant basis to ensure no unsafe actions or results will occur.
- Stressing safe working practices as a condition of employment to associates.
- Assisting in audits of employee behaviors to ensure compliance with safety rules and guidelines, as well as housekeeping audits and surveys.
- Ensuring the housekeeping in the immediate and surrounding work area is maintained or improved to the highest level possible.
- Ensures Quality products and processes are maintained by:
- Understanding and supporting both quality policies and the Quality System.
- Performing work at a level that ensures quality of this positions work meets or exceeds internal and external customer specifications.
- Actively participates in the continuous improvement process (CIP) by:
- Identifying and addressing any opportunities to reduce cost, improve product/process and/or improve overall operations
- Participating in CIP teams to eliminate problems, streamline operations or other areas as defined by management
- Participating in CIP training and exercises designed to expand the potential for continuous improvement.
Minimum Skills, Knowledge and Ability Requirements:
Critical thinking to solve problems
Knowledgeable about using digital hardware/software up to level of minor programming.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Electrical document control/configuration management to include schematics, programs, layouts, prints, manuals, etc.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Associates degree and more than 3 years of related engineering/electronics/automation experience in a manufacturing environment.
Certification in applied robotics – Fanuc preferred, Allen Bradley/Siemens PLC, VFD/motor controls.
Read and understand schematics/drawings, mechanical prints for all relevant equipment and parts.
Vision system experience preferred
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit and frequently required to stand; walk; use hands & fingers; talk and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 75 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Must be GMP compliant where required. May be required to wear ear plugs occasionally.
The job duties, physical demands and work environment characteristics described are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Where possible, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions where it does not cause undue hardship or safety risks to the company and/or the employee.
Career LevelTechnician Level 3